18 May WHAT TO DO WHEN FIRE EXTINGUISHERS GO OFF IN YOUR CAR!
So your unlucky enough to have a fire extinguisher go off while your in your car? Yeah it totally sucks, we know! Try running a fire extinguisher company in Sydney! We have them go off all the time!
So what causes the fire extinguisher to go off you ask? When the safety pin is removed (or falls out when driving) the fire extinguisher becomes active! Once it is active all you need to do is push down on the handle (or brake to sudden while driving) and it releases the pressure along with the agent inside the extinguisher!
Some agents found inside fire extinguishers are Dry Chemical Powder (DCP), Carbon Dioxide (Co2), Wet Chemical, Air, Water & Foam.
Now Co2 isn’t that bad as it just evaporates into the atmosphere with the hundred other gases found outside your car. Water can dry out BUT Dry chemical powder (DCP) is what you DONT want to go off inside your car! I have a love/hate relationship with dry chemical powder extinguishers. Sure they make me money but man when they go off are they are nightmare! The powder is highly corrosive and dangerous if you get it in your eyes or breath it in.
Once you have pulled your car over and stopped swearing follow Sydney Extinguishers tips below;
- Pull over somewhere safe (if you haven’t already crashed)
- If the fire extinguisher is still going off then try and stop it if safe to do so (the less mess the better)
- Put the pin back in the fire extinguisher and tamper seal it if possible
- Get everything out of your car (if its your boot like us then its not as bad)
- Dust pan & broom along with a garbage bag (start sweeping up the big chunks)
- Get a hose and make sure you car can be hose out!
- You want the powder off as quickly as possible so don’t muck about!
- Once you have it semi cleaned then take it too a car wash and let them do it properly as you don’t want the powder hanging around (it will damage and ruin your car)
When traveling with fire extinguishers ensure they are seated correctly and cannot move around too much! Try and keep the pin locked in with a tamper seal and facing upright!
Sydney Extinguishers hates when fire extinguishers go off accidentally in your car! Once the Fire Extinguisher has been discharged then call us on 0402 560 232 to have it refilled for next time you really need it!