10 Apr PORTABLE FIRE EXTINGUISHER INSTALLATION AS2444
With the proper use of a portable fire extinguishers you will be able to reduce or eliminate the degree of injury, damage and cost to business in the event of a small fire. If your fire extinguishers are installed correctly you are on your way to successfully help reduce the risk of damage and loss of costs to your building or workplace. If extinguishers are NOT installed correctly this can be another way insurance companies can look at NOT paying our for your claims. Fire safety in your work place is important!
- If you are considering making changes to your building’s scheduled fire safety measures, enforceable by law, you must seek council approval before making such changes. Contact your local council’s Fire Safety Officer for further information.
- If portable fire extinguishers are installed in your building they are required to be maintained in accordance with the requirements of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulation 2000, to ensure they are fully operational in the instance of a fire.
- Each extinguisher shall be located in conspicuous, readily accessible location. Fire & Rescue NSW recommends that a surrounding clearance of a minimum of 1000mm be maintained around each extinguisher.
- Extinguishers must be thermally protected IF installed in locations where the temperature is outside the range of 5C to 50C.
- Each extinguisher shall be supported by an appropriate support fitting or bracket, or placed in a cabinet or enclosure with the front of the extinguisher facing outwards.
- Distribution of extinguishers in buildings shall be in accordance with the hazard present in the area to be protected rather than size of the area. (See table on page 2 of this fact sheet.)
Portable fire extinguishers location, mounting and display to the Australia Standards AS2444
Extinguisher mounting wall bracket heights
- Max – 1200mm from floor to top of extinguisher handle
- Min – 100mm from floor to bottom of extinguisher
Location and display of sign
- Min – 2000mm above floor level.
- At a point that makes them most apparent to a person of average height & visual acuity.
- The extinguisher or extinguisher sign shall be clearly visible for up to 20 metres on approach.
- The size of the sign shall be determined by location on and distance at which the sign must be legible.
- A minimum of one Pictorial or location sign must be provided above or adjacent to an extinguisher even if indicating the location of multiple or a mixed group of extinguishers.
- The extinguisher and fire point location signs shall have a symbol, border and letters in white on a red field, complying with Australian Standard (AS) 2700.
- The Australian Standard (AS) 2444 Portable Fire Extinguishers and Fire Blankets selection and location will provide comprehensive and specific information.
- It is also recommended that you have a square instruction disc (ID – SIGN) directly above the extinguisher wall bracket. Even though these details are on the portable fire extinguisher they can get covered up with stickers etc blocking the instructions
For correct installation of your portable fire extinguishers and safety equipment please call Sydney Extinguisher today – your local fire safety extinguisher company.